Horticultural technician will be working in the area of farm management therefore will be involved in the planning, execution and maintenance of a commercially viable enterprises in both vegetable and fruits crops and may also include arboriculture
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide facilitative farm management activities
- Prepares soil and growth media for each type horticultural crops grown or earmarked for growing by our client.
- Plants seeds and transplants seedlings at the correct seed rates
- Provide plant managerial care in order to achieve desired results e.g., watering, pruning, weeding and properly removing and disposing off dead or damaged plants or plants parts or tissue.
- Applies pesticides to control or undesirable plant growth, pests and diseases.
- Mixes and applies a variety of fertilizers to obtain proper nutrient balance for each plant.
- Initiates new plant growth by using either of several methods of plant propagation.
- Determines appropriate time and schedule for spraying, based on growing season, condition of surrounding areas including water and soil conditions, weather conditions and other variables.
- Coordinates with the management staff and/or supervisor to ascertain type and number of species to propagate and allocates appropriate space.
- Determines where and how plants are to be located in all client's farms
- Determine crop products management treatment, storage and dispatch to the market by considering such factors as lighting, temperature, humidity and space requirements etc. Maintains log of daily activities.
- Prepare and Maintains farm inventory record and requisitions supplies and chemicals.
- Maintains a variety of records relating to inspections and maintenance activity.
- Calculates fertilizer rates and calibrates spreaders and sprayers for proper application rates in accordance with product labels.
- Together with operators performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on farm equipment and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
Qualifications and work experience
- Higher national diploma in horticulture or any equivalent College Diploma in crop production with a combination of experience and/or education from which comparable horticultural knowledge, skills and abilities have been achieved
- Four to five years of experience in horticultural production
- Knowledge of plant propagation techniques.
- Pests and diseases identification and control
- Knowledge of pesticides and their use in plants care.
- Knowledge in GAP and or Organic agriculture certification process/standards
- Knowledge of horticulture farms and orchards fertilization techniques.
- Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time.
- Knowledge to work safely, promote and maintain safe work standards.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and written.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other farm employees, other departments and the public.
- Must possess the ability to internalize understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
- Horticultural technicians generally will work for 8 or more hour per day. They will often be required to work weekends and some summer evening. The job also requires work in all kinds of weather conditions
- The horticultural technicians work will mostly be outdoors and or in a greenhouse therefore need to be in good physical shape as they will be required to walk through several acres/hectares of land in order to maintain every type of plant. They should also be comfortable working in the warm and damp atmosphere for several hours at a time in order to keep each plant maintained.
- Light, water and internet will be paid by company
- Provided onsite accommodation
- 2 economic tickets in year to your home country.
- 30 calendar days paid leave in a year.